Saturday, September 5, 2015

Eye Injury

My husband and I planned to attend a wedding for a close relative one particular Saturday afternoon. I had arranged for Danny to stay with a friend for a few hours while we were at the wedding. 

Our morning started off normally, I had a hard time getting out of bed and getting ready because I had stayed up a bit late the night before. But once I was up and ready, I scrambled around the apartment to get Danny's things together. My husband, Danny and I then drove thirty minutes to my friend's house. I dropped Danny off thinking that he was in good hands. 

My husband and I then drove an hour to where the wedding was taking place. I was excited to be near my family. Everything seemed to be going great. I recieved a few picture messages of Danny from my friend. He seemed to be having a great time. My husband decided to leave the wedding early, and go pick up Danny. I stayed behind to spend a few more hours with my family. On my way home from the wedding, I recieved a text message from my friend letting me know that Danny had been scratched by her mother's cat. I didn't fully understand the extent of his injury at the time. I let her know that my husband was on his way up to pick up Danny. 

Seeing Danny once he was home was heart breaking. His right eye was shut and he cried when I tried to pick him up. I was afraid and sad to see him hurt. I called the vet and let her know what had happened. I knew the cat had scratched his eye, and parts of his body. She asked me to bring Danny in immediately.

My parents, brother and I drove 45 minutes to get Danny to the vet. It was pretty late in the evening and rain had started to fall. Danny slept in his bed the entire ride to the vet. Once we arrived, the vet examined Danny and noticed that his eye was in pretty bad shape. She did a few things to ease the pain and to get a closer look at his eye. She also cleaned up the wounds on his body. Once the vet was done, she came out and told us that she was glad we brought Danny in quickly. Cat scratches near the eye could really hurt a dog. We were sent home with medication and a cone.

Danny had to see the vet once a week for a month. She believed he had an eye ulcer because his eye was looking cloudy. Again, we were really unsure about the full extent of his inury. After, the third appointment the vet referred Danny to an ophthalmologist in Albuquerque, New Mexico. My husband, Danny and I traveled the six hours to Danny's eye appointment. I was really hoping to hear good news from the doctor. But instead, we were told that Danny will be blind in his right eye for the rest of his life. The cat had puncture his pupil and pushed it back against his eyeball. So his eye is permanently damage. I cried after hearing the news. Danny is such a loving puppy, he doesn't deserve to be blind. 

My husband and I talked about Danny the entire trip home. We came to the conclusion that as long as Danny is happy then we're happy as well. Danny means so much to the both of us. He's basically our baby. I will do anything to make him happy and to feel loved. 

Today, Danny is a happy little puppy. He's spoiled not only from us but from his grandparents as well. He still loves going to the park, playing with little kids and going for car rides. I thought his eye would affect him but he's still the same loving dog that he was before the incident. 


Danny after one of his treatments. He had his eye sewn shut for a week. 

Danny watching a movie on our way home from his appointment in Albuquerque. 

Danny a few weeks after his appointment in Albuquerque


Danny from earlier this week 😀 

No comments:

Post a Comment